Health Requirements and Insurance

Approved by: Counseling & Health Services

History: Updated 2021 | 2023

Related Policies: Immunizations | Health Education

Related Forms, Procedures and References: Immunization Form for Resident Students

For Questions Contact:  Counseling Services | 414.382.6119 | AF 208 |


Tuberculin (TB) Skin Testing: Some academic programs require annual testing for tuberculosis.  This may be done at your primary care physician’s office or an outside clinic.  All international students, regardless of country of origin, are required to have proof of tuberculosis testing prior to arrival at Alverno.

Commuter Students: Immunizations and an annual flu shot are strongly recommended, but not required, for all students. 

International and Exchange Students: International and Exchange Students are required to submit the completed Health History and Immunization Forms.  Students must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination, Tetanus-Diphtheria, Measles-Mumps-Rubella, and Polio vaccinations, as well as proof of a Tuberculosis test done within the year, before moving into the residence hall.

Resident Students: By federal law, each year all resident students must acknowledge that they have been informed about the risks and benefits of receiving the Meningitis and Hepatitis B vaccinations.  These vaccinations are recommended, but not mandatory. Residents are responsible for reading the Vaccine Information Sheets provided. Students must complete an Immunization Form for Resident Students and return it to Residence Life.  Students who do not turn in a complete Immunization Form may be asked to leave the residence hall in the event of a vaccine-preventable disease occurrence in the residence hall.

*If you are also a student-athlete, contact the Athletic Trainer, AF 112B (414) 382-6424 for any additional requirements


Alverno College strongly recommends that each student obtain and verify health insurance coverage while attending classes.  The college does not have a health insurance plan available for purchase. 

International and Exchange students are required to have health insurance while studying at Alverno College. As a WAICU member, we utilize WPS insurance.    The student health insurance meets the J-1 visa requirements as outlined in U.S. regulations governing that visa category (contained in 22 CFR 62.12).  The cost of the insurance premium is part of the academic billing and will be payable upon arrival on campus.